[pulseaudio-discuss] How to close a session?

Haug Bürger pinus at dokom.net
Mon Dec 13 12:37:26 PST 2010

Colin Guthrie schrieb:
> 'Twas brillig, and Haug Bürger at 12/12/10 10:59 did gyre and gimble:
>
>> The leatest Ubuntu has a serious security bug caused by pulseaudio. If
>> you configure pammount to mount a crypted home directory it is not able
>> to unmount it because pulseaudio has files in use (.pulse/*). You can
>> not even kill the daemon because it is set to user session.
>>
>> So, how can you stop the pulseaudio user session? In the hope that this
>> releases the files.
>>
>> Is it really necessary for the deamon to lock the files that you can not
>> unmount or is this a bug?
>>

> It's quite deliberate. PA has a timeout that prevents it from closing
> immediate. This means that if PA autospawns, it will stick around for a
> little while in case it's needed again (while startup is fairly quick,
> we do have to probe the hardware so it does take time). This is
> primarily for console applications rather than X11 however, as under X11
> a Session Manager module is loaded which keeps PA alive for the duration
> of the X session.
>
> You can make a change in daemon.conf to set exit-idle-time to 0. This
> should allow PA to exit when the X11 session exits.

This doesn't work. Probably because you might have another user session
with X11 active. This means PA is not closed and gdm can not close the
session properly.

I don't care if PA still runs but why does it lock files in my home
directory?

It is not even possible as root to shut down a user session. Gdm can not
even kill the user session. This makes PA a pain in the a...

So, how can you stop the pulseaudio user session?