[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio problem when using x2go and likewise-open

Ivan Boyadzhiev ivancho.b at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 01:48:35 PST 2010

Hi,

I have read all the related documentation on
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/ServerStrings and related wikis, and I
understood what it is written there, still I need some more information how
can I debug or start manually pulseaudio SSH forward.
What is this thread about: Ubuntu 10.10 with Likewise-open connected to
corporate LDAP. X2go server installed and configured using pulseaudio
forwarding sound from the server to the clients. Problem: x2goclient can't
make ssh pulseaudio tunnel when using LDAP user. x2goclient can make ssh
pulseaudio tunnel when using local ubuntu user.
It is nothing with group permissions, as they are not needed, because I do
have configured, and working system wide mode (
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/SystemWideInstance). Logging physically on
the Ubuntu x2goserver with LDAP user does have sound, but the access to the
soundcard is through the physical hardware.

I am in touch with x2go-developers, and there have live discussion with them
on their mailing list as well:
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/x2go-dev/2010-December/thread.html#start
and more specific: the thread: [X2go-dev] x2go with likewise-open (ldap)
questions
<https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/x2go-dev/2010-December/001361.html>

Currently I do have 2 remote open x2go sessions. One using LDAP user, the
other Local Ubuntu user. I don't have anything in hardware and aplay -l or
aplay -L or lspci -v are absolutely same. The difference from
gnome-volume-control is the Output Tab. The LDAP user has Dummy Output,
while the Local Ubuntu user has Windows waveOut PCM

My questions are:
 1. In this situation, can I try to start manually pulseaudio server forward
in the LDAP user?
 2. Is there a way do make some deep debugs on the LDAP user, so to get what
exactly is getting wrong

P.S. My assumption is that x2go side has un-escaped string for username,
which now because of LDAP include "@" and converted to "\". I'm checking the
sources, still that will take its time.
My x2goclients are both Windows 7(for all my experience up is used), and
another Ubuntu 10.10 (on VMware). The VM has sound, but the x2goclient does
not have in all cases (doesn't matter if the user is LDAP or Local Ubuntu).

Bottom line: can you give me more information how this forward happens
exactly, or help me with deep investigation from pulseaudio side.

Thanks and Best Regards
Ivan