[pulseaudio-discuss] jack-module tips?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Dec 15 03:25:38 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and James Harkins at 11/12/10 02:52 did gyre and gimble:
> By the way, is there a better GUI to change the default sink/source?
> The only GUI way I could find is to open the pa applet, which has
> "Default sink" and "Default source" in the indicator menu. But, I see
> only Default and Other [1], and to use Other, I have to type in the
> exact name. It's "possible" but less than ideal vis-à-vis usability,
> especially if pa is targeted for typical consumer-grade applications,
> whose users don't want to have to learn the pa CLI to do basic
> configuration :)

If you are referring to padevchooser then it is deprecated and not
really recommended (it works in an old way that is not really doing
things the "right" way)

At present the "default" device is a bit of a misnomer. It's really the
fallback - e.g. the device to use when no other config or automated
system specifies another device. Devices are saved on a per-app basis
and restored via module-stream-restore. Sometimes other modules like
module-intended-roles will try to map phone streams onto e.g. bluetooth
headsets. If none of that provides a device, then we use the default device.

Changing the default device will not actually move any currently running
streams across to the new device, which catches a lot of people out (and
it's also not how I would like to see things work personally).

pavucontrol lets you specify which device is the default, as does
gnome-volume-control. In KDE, there are priority lists of devices in
systemsettings rather than a single default.

HTHs

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]