[pulseaudio-discuss] cannot control input devices from pavucontrol + crashes in recording tab

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 04:20:51 PST 2010

2010/12/22 Peter Hercek <phercek at gmail.com>:
> Well that says it alll. When I try to control muting or levels of input
> deviced in pavucontrol then it does not work. I can do this with 'alsamixer
> -c 0'. I use archlinux and I set pulseaudio based on this page:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio
> I also read
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
> and it did not seem to contain something which would help.
>
> Playback, Output Devices and Configuration tabs seem to work well.
> Recording tab results in a pavucontrol crash when I try to mute a microphone
> which is used by arecord.
> Anything I do in Input Devices does not seem to have any effect.

[In order to look into the crash, a backtrace would be nice to have
(don't forget to install debug symbols of all the relevant libraries)]

Why are you using arecord? That way you bypass PulseAudio completely
and record directly from the alsa sound source. Using parec instead
gives you all the pulse goodies you can handle!

If you're saying (I'm not quite sure I understand correctly) that
changing mute/volume of the pulse source does not result in a volume
change of the audio output of arecord, then that's completely
expected. (Well, it could have some effect, if pulse decides to adjust
hardware volume, but anyway, it won't be exactly how you want it)

Maarten