[pulseaudio-discuss] how to change the zeroconf published sink name ?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Dec 22 06:32:46 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and nico at 22/12/10 13:53 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a little headless pulseaudio machine to be used as a network
> speaker system.
> This pulseaudio setup is of-course publishing it's presence via avahi.
>
> My problem is that the name used is not very... poetic, something like
> "machine:sink0.name":
> 1 sink(s) available.
>   * index: 0
>         name: <alsa_output.usb-1130_USB_AUDIO-00-default.analog-stereo>
>

> So, I would like to change the name displayed by avahi. How could I do
> that ? (I have tryed changing the sink property "name", but that is
> not what gets displayed by avahi...)

I can't remember off hand but IIRC it's based on the
"device.description" property of the sink.

So you should be able to adjust that fairly easily.
(see update-sink-proplist in pacmd - you will likely have to unload and
reload the avahi-publish module to see the change tho')

HTHs

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]