[pulseaudio-discuss] ubuntu flash pulseaudio multiuser

duportail poort at telenet.be
Thu Dec 23 05:59:19 PST 2010

Op 23-12-2010 0:05, Colin Guthrie schreef:
> 'Twas brillig, and duportail at 22/12/10 22:08 did gyre and gimble:
>> Op 22-12-2010 21:12, Colin Guthrie schreef:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and duportail at 22/12/10 19:51 did gyre and gimble:

>>> So can each user see multiple sinks or just the one? (in e.g.
>>> pavucontrol)

>>> padevchooser is rubbish and unsupported and obsolete. I strongly
>>> recommend not using it at all.
>>>
>>> Ideally each users PA process will only have one sink and thus there is
>>> really no option for any apps in the first place.

>>> Well I'm confused as if there is only one sink listed for each user in
>>> their own private PA daemon, this suggests that these applications are
>>> bypassing PA and accessing ALSA directly. Not sure why they would do
>>> that, but flash does have a habbit of being rubbish with such things.
>>> Still if the ACLs on the sound devices themselves are restricted then
>>> even if it does bypass PA each user should still only have access to one
>>> sound device each.
>>>
>>> Col
>>>
>> Well, it worked in ubuntu 10.04, but not in 10.10 anymore.
>> With padevchooser you can see all sinks, and the user has to set the
>> default.
> I really cannot see how padevchooser should be able to see all the sinks
> if the users are not allowed to access them, so I'm guessing your setup
> technically allows users to use any sink they want.
>
> This isn't really the best setup. Like I say, setting the ACLs is by far
> and away the most appropriate way to achieve the right setup.
>
>> However, on my multi-user systems i have a script (with password) to set
>> the default sink .So the users cannot change this
> Hmm, padevchoser does not set the default sink. It operates in a
> completely different way to any concept of "default" sinks in the PA
> daemon (which is not really a 'default' anyway - more of a 'fallback').
>
> To explain, padevchooser sets properties on the X11 root window (see
> xprop -root | grep PULSE). The libpulse client will look at these
> properties when connecting to PA or initiating streams.
>
> In PA itself, there is a concept of a "default" or "fallback" sink. This
> is often used but PA will also remember which device a given program
> prefers (e.g. if it was moved via pavucontrol in the past, it will
> remember that device).
>

> Over all, as I said, the most stable and secure setup will be to only
> include one sink in each user's PA daemon. Using the ACLs via udev rules
> is likely to be the best way to achieve this, but a custom default.pa
> for each user that does not use udev-detect and instead hard codes
> module-alsa-card loads (with differetn device_id= arguments) would also
> work fine.
>
>> Again all is working weel, except flash.
>> It's kde 4.5, maybe it is phonon?
> Well Phonon routing (when done correctly as I believe it is with the
> latest Kubuntu 10.10) is quite different to a simple default and it may
> [...]
I do not use padevchooser.I run a little script to set the default sink
for each user.
I can confirm that kde's phonon is the cause of this .If I set up a
multi-users system with pulseaudio and several usb-audio devices and the
users only use xfce4 desktop the sound stays ok for flash an other
player. If they login the kde4.5 desktop,the flash sound goes to the
first audio device.If the logout of the kde desktop and login the xfce4
desktop, the flash sound stays on the first sound device.If I remove
some cache in .mozilla, .adobe and .macromedia, I can set the sound for
this user and xfce4 back in order.
Is there a way to disable this phonon?