[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Feb 9 08:41:46 PST 2010

ti, 2010-02-09 kello 11:17 -0500, Bill Cox kirjoitti:
> The corking stuff in PA is very cool.  I don't think anyone objects to
> it.  But couldn't we quell all the "PA stinks!" posts by just allowing
> some processes/groups/users to have constant access to audio?

That's easier said than done. Only one process can have direct access to
the sound card at a time. Each user has his own pulseaudio instance
running. How do you implement constant access in such scenario? I fear
it would require a major redesign effort in pulseaudio. I haven't seen
any concrete design proposals enabling simultaneous access for multiple
users while at the same time retaining all the desirable properties that
the current system has.

> I guess the only other really nasty e-mails I read about PA are due to
> old unmaintained code (typically games) that have too much delay in
> PA.  Is there any good reason that the default latency in PA for
> programs that don't bother setting a desired latency is greater than
> zero?

You can't have zero latency, so I assume you mean why don't we use the
smallest latency possible by default. The reason is that low latency
consumes more cpu and battery time.

--
Tanu Kaskinen