[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

Jeremy Nickurak jeremy at nickurak.ca
Tue Feb 9 11:24:50 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 09:41, Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:

> That's easier said than done. Only one process can have direct access to
> the sound card at a time. Each user has his own pulseaudio instance
> running. How do you implement constant access in such scenario? I fear
> it would require a major redesign effort in pulseaudio. I haven't seen
> any concrete design proposals enabling simultaneous access for multiple
> users while at the same time retaining all the desirable properties that
> the current system has.

Off the top of my head....

"root" or other system-level pulseaudio instance opens and owns the physical
hardware for the entire time a computer is up.

All the user pulseaudio instances connect through that.

What's the downside here?

Alternatively, rely on the underlying layer to do multiplexing. If the
hardware supports it, awesome. If it doesn't, let dmix handle it.

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= Email/XMPP: jeremy at nickurak.ca =-