[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 10 16:11:44 PST 2010

On Wed, 10.02.10 10:45, Maarten Bosmans (mkbosmans at gmail.com) wrote:

> The other mode is the system-wide daemon mode. This follows more the
> traditional unix model of a dedicated pulse user running a daemon to
> which other users can connect. The system mode is more applicable to
> an audio server/appliance scenario.

I would actually argue that the normal per-session PA logic is much
more unixish than anything else. At least on my classic TTYs the bell
sound was actually generated in the terminal computer and not on the
server computer. And on the old standalone X terminals, it's the very
same thing. XBell() is called on the terminal server, and the X terminal
generates the sound.

So, what was true for teletype and X terminals back in the 80s, where
the beep sound was played by an app on the terminal server and
generated on the terminal client, is still true in the PA world: the
audio stream a music player app plays on the terminal server is played
back on the terminal client.

So, once and for all, if someone complains that PA wasn't unixish
enough: first of all, I don't care, and secondly that's a completely
bogus statement and is not true.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net