[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 05:59:37 PST 2010

2010/2/11 Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>:
> On Wed, 10.02.10 10:45, Maarten Bosmans (mkbosmans at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> The other mode is the system-wide daemon mode. This follows more the
>> traditional unix model of a dedicated pulse user running a daemon to
>> which other users can connect. The system mode is more applicable to
>> an audio server/appliance scenario.
>
> I would actually argue that the normal per-session PA logic is much
> more unixish than anything else. At least on my classic TTYs the bell
> sound was actually generated in the terminal computer and not on the
> server computer. And on the old standalone X terminals, it's the very
> same thing. XBell() is called on the terminal server, and the X terminal
> generates the sound.

That makes sense for the bell.

I was referring to the daemon though. In my view the system wide
daemon running as a dedicated user (apache, postgres) is an example of
the traditional unix model and the per-user daemon (dbus, pulse) is
another approach that is gaining a lot of popularity lately on linux
distributions.

Maarten