[pulseaudio-discuss] which ip address for network devices

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 10 17:13:06 PST 2010

On Fri, 05.02.10 20:55, Brian J. Murrell (brian at interlinx.bc.ca) wrote:

> I have a machine that has multiple interfaces and thus multiple addresses.  I
> have enabled PA (0.9.19) to share the devices out via the network and when I
> start the PA server, I briefly see devices from it on my local machines
> pavucontrol application but they disappear quite quickly.
>
> For the few seconds that I can see them in my pavucontrol I can see that they
> are using an IP address that's not on the local LAN but one of the other
> networks (a VPN) this machine is connected to.
>
> Is there any way I can resolve this?

As Colin pointed out this prob looks likes a proto error that has
been fixed later on.

That said, regarding your subject: the pa avahi announcer will leave it
to avahi to select the best address to announce on a specific
interface. Avahi will prefer a routable one over a link-local one. PA
itself will listen on all addresses (i.e. 0.0.0.0 on ipv4)

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net