[pulseaudio-discuss] Invalid dB data from drivers

David Henningsson launchpad.web at epost.diwic.se
Tue Feb 23 14:24:45 PST 2010

> Heya,
>
> just wanted to point everybody to this new "canned response" type note
> I just added to the wiki:
>
> http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/BadDecibel
>
> I wrote a little tool that can be used to track invalid dB data
> exposed by ALSA drivers. Incorrect dB data usually means that playing
> a stream in PA while another one is already playing might result in a
> volume change of the first one, that should not happen.
>
> As it appears a lot of USB hw has issues with the dB information.
>
> Anyway, I though you might find that page and the tool useful,
> especially if you maintain PA in other distributions and want to know
> what to do with bug reports about issues like the one I pointed out
> above.

Did this tool go almost unnoticed, at least on this list?

Thanks! I'm sure it'll come in handy when we triage some of the bugs in
Ubuntu. Perhaps it could be something for the hardware testing suite, both
in Ubuntu (i e checkbox), and its counterparts in other distributions?

Now if only I could get some spare time, so I could play with it and
package it...and optimally, I also need to get a soundcard with bad dB
information from somewhere...

> Have fun,

I've always enjoyed sine waves. ;-)

// David