[pulseaudio-discuss] Problem with installing v0.9.21 of pulseaudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Jan 2 07:05:20 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Burkhard Stubert at 02/01/10 14:50 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have built PA v0.9.21 and installed it in /usr/local/PulseAudio. I
> have changed my configuration files as follows.
>
> ~/.pulse/client.conf:
> daemon-binary = /usr/local/PulseAudio/bin/pulseaudio
> extra-arguments = --log-target=syslog
>
> /usr/bin/pulse-session:

The above file is not one we provide, so is presumably something your
distro is doing. I'm not aware of how this works so cannot provide any
help here. I'd advise you to ask via your distro's PA maintainer.

> If I now run /pacmd "list-modules"/, I get the message:
> No Pulseaudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
>
> What is wrong in my setup? How do I have to configure things to run the
> pulseaudio instance I have compiled myself?

pacmd is probably linking to your system's libpulse* libraries.

Maybe export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/PulseAudio/lib will solve the
problem?

Note also that for debugging (which is presumably what you are doing)
that pulseaudio has some small black magic that allows it to be run from
the source/build tree without installing. This may be a simpler way for
quick tests and building a test package in your distros chosen format
(rpm or deb etc) may be a better approach for a longer term test?

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]