[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jan 3 14:15:35 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Gene Heskett at 03/01/10 21:48 did gyre and gimble:
> And yesm there are, according to the bus scanning done at bootup, 3 separate
> audio systems in this machine.
>
> 1.  There is an intel-hd or whatever its called, claim from my video card
> that has no connection to the physical world that I can find, on my rv610
> chipset based video card.

Presumably an HDMI device.

> 2. There is another intelhd chipset on the mother board that I suppose might
> be able to make a few pitiful squeaks should I ever plug any amps & speakers
> into it, and before PA, I was able to dedicate it for use by skype, but not
> since PA arrived.

Strange that this is not possible anymore. You should be able to set an
"Off" profile in pavucontrol's Configuration tab to have pulseaudio
ignore any given card and use it for what you like.

I presume this is an Intel HDA card. I have a similar card here and it
works very well with pulse but the HDA range is really more of a
specification than a particular device and there are numerous small
variations and a whole bunch of quirks in ALSA to deal with it. Strange
that it only has a few squeaks tho'. Is this with Glitch Free mode
disabled in draksound?

> 3.  I have a 24 bit Audigy2 Value with about 64 i/o's that I use for
> everything because it never runs out of headroom.

Yeah creative cards can be problematic due to their lack of support for
the more advanced way PA drives the hardware.

>> pacmd ls output would be good.
>
> [root at coyote etc]# pacmd ls
> E: pacmd.c: No PulseAudio daemon running

OK, let me clarify:

pacmd ls output *while pulseaudio is running* would be good.

> And when booted to mdv2010-x64, PA picks the video card device & I've used
> every pa utility I could find to try and get it away from the 2nd device
> above and bring some audio back to life, with no apparent effect.  Also,
> booted to mdv-2010-x64, the only place I can see the Audigy card is in lspci
> and possibly dmesg.  PA's tools can't find it.

It should detect the Audigy 2 card even if it doesn't work fantastically
in glitch free mode. HDMI cards should be prioritised below PCI cards in
the internal priority list so it should never be the default if other
cards are detected. The pacmd ls output should be telling.

Also, if you can post the pulseaudio -vvvv output too that would be
useful. Can you start a new thread for this?

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]