[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 14:20:08 PST 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at gmail.com> wrote:
> 01:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value
>        Subsystem: Creative Labs Device 1001
>        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
>        I/O ports at 9c00 [size=64]
>        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
>        Kernel driver in use: EMU10K1_Audigy
>        Kernel modules: snd-emu10k1

If this device isn't audible with speaker-test -Dplug:front:Audigy2
-twav -c2 -l1 (substitute "Audigy2" with whatever corresponds from cat
/proc/asound/cards), then my guess is that you're experiencing one of
the many quirks of the Live and Audigy families where you need to
toggle the Analog/Digital Output control. Tritech and Sigmatel both
screwed up big time with no way to differentiate between codec
revisions that require it to be unmuted (vice those that require it to
be *muted*) for audible analog playback.

But, as Colin recommended, that would be a separate thread.