[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 4 13:01:49 PST 2010

On Mon, 04.01.10 15:52, Bill Cox (waywardgeek at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > Right. So why not fix orca and make everything work fine in Gnome? I
> > mean, lets fix things properly, not carry on with kludges.
>
> I'm guessing you're and Emacs user.  What's wrong with Vim?  Why don't
> we simply improve Vim and not carry on with this Emacs kludge?  The
> blind are even more attached to their environment.  And speakup isn't
> a kludge.  Real men don't let anyone get in the way of their
> accessibility, because their jobs depend on it.  They write kernel
> modules to grab console text and slap on an external Braille display,
> or Dec Talk speech synthesizer.  If the rest of the world of software
> can eventually replace this simple reliable system with something as
> good, then great, but that day is a long way off.

You know, this is not how we work, at least in Fedora. We try to fix
things properly, we dont like to carry kludges for all
eternity. That's why we dropped speakup in Fedora and hope to be able
to drop the entire console subsystem eventually.

You seem to imply that it is my job to make sure even the oldest or
most nichey software is supported properly in PA. Well, that's not the
case.

If you feel the need to support multiple alternative solutions for the
same problem and effectively double your maintainance work you are
welcome to do so, but that's your choice, and hence it is *your* job
to make things work with it.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net