[pulseaudio-discuss] Is running as user smart or dumb?

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 14:05:18 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 01.01.10 12:43, Markus Rechberger (mrechberger at gmail.com) wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Since I didn't get much response with my more polite e-mail, here's
>> > what I really think, given my current ignorance about pulseaudio...
>> >
>> > PulseAudio is cool, but I fear it's over-engineered by some Ph.D's
>> > with too much elegance in their solution, and not enough real world
>> > experience.  Run as user?  Really?
>> >

>> it would be ok as long as it would support multiple users.
>> The problem is that it doesn't care about /etc/group audio permissions and thus
>> breaks backward compatibility with alsa.
>
> That is bullshit.
>
>> You have a few options
>> * the easiest one is to remove pulseaudio and get audio work again as
>> it was meant to be (which is also conform to all other unixsystems)
>
> Please don't post FUD like this on this ML. If you want to spread FUD
> then I can tell you there are much better fora for that.

Lennart, this is more likely your way to ignore user requests. I would
really appreciate it if you could respond in a more problem solving
way.
The problem still remains that other users need or want to access the
audio system and not only a single user.
The solution should be usable by endusers (seems like you use to
forget about them sometimes), The pulseaudio config should be handled
by the distros - fine but then how should the enduser easily modify PA
for his needs the average Windows user definitely cannot handle Linux
configuration files.

Markus