[pulseaudio-discuss] Is running as user smart or dumb?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 4 14:28:24 PST 2010

On Mon, 04.01.10 23:05, Markus Rechberger (mrechberger at gmail.com) wrote:

> > Please don't post FUD like this on this ML. If you want to spread FUD
> > then I can tell you there are much better fora for that.
>
> Lennart, this is more likely your way to ignore user requests.

What you need to understand that as long as you dont pay my salary its
not you who decides on my priorities. And as long as you dont you need
to understand that some user requests which appear sensible, useful
and feasible to me are higher on my list than others. Furthermore
sometimes we have to make choices and implementing one thing
immediately makes it impossible implementing other things. And that
also means that some user requests we cannot fulfill regardless how
we priorize things.

Now, we have thought about this, and in the desktop group at RH we
came to the decision that audio cards are inherently a per-seat
resource and should not be shared, but stay exclusively with the
session that is active on it. And we then implemented that. And the
vast majority of other folks agreed with our decision and all relevant
distributions adopted our implementation. Furthermore all major
non-Unix OSes handle things the same way.

Now, there are always people who disagree with our choices. For
example, you seem to disagree with ours regarding multi-user support
for audio. You are entitled to that. But please, stop complaining
about this, and accept that you will not get your way. We gave you
good reasons why we did what we did and why we wont fulfill your
requests. You seem to think they are not good. You are entitled to
think that, but please accept that this does not change anything for
us.

So please, let it rest, and know that if you want to set the rules
then you need to contribute something substantial and more than just
some FUD on a mailing list. And that repeating the same over and over
does NOT HELP and just annoys everyone else.

Thank you for understanding this,

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net