[pulseaudio-discuss] Sink for event sounds? WAS: paplay - sound roles?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jan 5 06:46:49 PST 2010

On Tue, 29.12.09 00:30, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> > A follow-up on this, how do I move event sounds to a different sink? For
> > other streams I simply use pavucontrol, but it doesn't seem that there's
> > any selector for the "System Sounds" item. It just selects the
> > 'normal' (laptop sound card output) and I can't figure a way to move it
> > to my BT headset without turning the sound card output off.
>
> I believe that libcanberra always ensures that event sounds are played
> on the default sink. Not sure of the inner workings there nor of whether
> it should be a stream-restore job (it's capable of routing e.g. all
> event sounds to a given sink, overriding (IIRC) the per-application
> device rules.

Nah, event sounds are treated exactly like other streams that are
tagged with a role. m-s-r will save/restore a volume and a device for
it, like it does for all others treams too.

libcanberra induced sounds are really nothing special, and libcanberra
does not try to outsmart PA.

> Incidentally Lennart, can you sort out the following:
>
> http://0pointer.de/public/sound-theme-spec.html :
> Version says 0.2 at the top, change summary mentions 0.5.
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/sound-theme-spec :
> Links to the above link as "version 0.3" (not 0.2 or 0.5 as expected!)

Fixed now.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net