[pulseaudio-discuss] Sink for event sounds? WAS: paplay - sound roles?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jan 5 07:31:21 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 05/01/10 15:19 did gyre and gimble:
>> Well event sounds are now hidden in pavucontrol.... so moving is
>> tricky... cmd line tools are hard to use for this when time is of the
>> essence!
>
> Hmm, I though it is actually visible if you use that dropdown on the
> lower right... Are we really hiding it unconditionally? If so, that
> seems like a poor choice I think.

The problem is that when the even sounds specifically (does not apply to
other roles) are shown, that it breaks changing the volumes due to focus
stealing in pavucontrol. If we can solve the focus problem they can be
shown (either unconditionally or via an option in the filter drop down).

While this breakage occurs it's best to hide them unconditionally as
people will only get confused.

An alternative is to remove the canberra integration in pavucontrol
which plays the volume change sound when the volume changes... but it's
quite nice :)

>> I've been meaning to look into why canberra believes them to be
>> disabled... My initial stab in the dark is some sort of gconf borkage,
>> but not sure.
>
> We get that value from an XSETTING that gnome-settings-daemon
> initializes from gconf.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]