[pulseaudio-discuss] Sink for event sounds? WAS: paplay - sound roles?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jan 5 08:35:35 PST 2010

On Tue, 05.01.10 15:31, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> The problem is that when the even sounds specifically (does not apply to
> other roles) are shown, that it breaks changing the volumes due to focus
> stealing in pavucontrol. If we can solve the focus problem they can be
> shown (either unconditionally or via an option in the filter drop down).
>
> While this breakage occurs it's best to hide them unconditionally as
> people will only get confused.
>
> An alternative is to remove the canberra integration in pavucontrol
> which plays the volume change sound when the volume changes... but it's
> quite nice :)

Oh, right. forgot about that. I guess the easiest way then is to
simply add that device dropdown to the event sound slider and be done
with it.

> >> I've been meaning to look into why canberra believes them to be
> >> disabled... My initial stab in the dark is some sort of gconf borkage,
> >> but not sure.
> >
> > We get that value from an XSETTING that gnome-settings-daemon
> > initializes from gconf.
>
> Thanks, I'll take a look.

BTW, that means that if you run KDE (which afaik does not provide that
XSETTING) you wont get event sounds, because they default to off IIRC.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net