[pulseaudio-discuss] Sink for event sounds? WAS: paplay - sound roles?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jan 5 09:11:30 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 05/01/10 16:35 did gyre and gimble:
>>> We get that value from an XSETTING that gnome-settings-daemon
>>> initializes from gconf.
>>
>> Thanks, I'll take a look.
>
> BTW, that means that if you run KDE (which afaik does not provide that
> XSETTING) you wont get event sounds, because they default to off IIRC.

Despite doing a fair bit of KDE dev of late, I generally run a Gnome
desktop (although I do switch about fairly often) but thanks for the
headsup here (I have noticed it didn't work under KDE session). My main
motivation for my KDE integration work is to make Mdv work nicer/more
consistently and to spread the joy of PA as widely as possible :D

The KDE generated event sounds *should* all go through phonon and be
properly categorised (and thus have an appropriate role) etc. now that
my other patches are merged. (of course knotify does sometimes use alsa
directly which is another problem... *sigh*).

I also now have Pulse support in kmix but it's somewhat preliminary.

Blogs to follow etc. etc. :p (as I'm going off topic at an alarming rate!)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]