[pulseaudio-discuss] M-Audio FastTrack Pro

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jan 5 11:22:38 PST 2010

On Mon, 28.12.09 10:43, David Kågedal (davidk at lysator.liu.se) wrote:

> I created a mixer profile for my M-Audio FastTrack Pro USB card that
> allows both stereo output channels to be used.
>
> I should probably add a profile that allows the input channels to appear
> as two mono sources, as well as the current stereo source, but I don't
> have a microphone around to test it (and I'm lazy).

I have now commited that. Happy to merge an updated version should add
the other profiles.

> I wonder, shouldn't ALSA/PulseAudio be able to somehow guess the profile
> so that the two stereo channels appear automatically?

ALSA currently does support that and given that the high-level stuff
PA wants to do is generally a subset of what ALSA allows you to do in
theory the question is how far this could ever go.

> And another thing: The sinks appear as "FastTrack_Pro ...", with an
> underscore instead of a space for some reason.

That's data read from the USB device itself. PA uses that only if no
prettier device string is available in the usb.ids database (which is
the same one that is used by lsusb).

I can only encourage you to submit a nicer USB string to the usb.ids database:

http://www.linux-usb.org/usb-ids.html

That way evryone can enjoy nicer strings.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net