[pulseaudio-discuss] Adding PulseAudio Capture to OpenAL

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jan 5 14:33:26 PST 2010

On Fri, 13.11.09 15:37, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Mike Dickson at 13/11/09 14:21 did gyre and gimble:
> >Hmm, ok, very interesting...
> >
> >The test code I have (and probably the Vivox SLVoice client which is the
> >real goal) opens an output stream first and then tries to open the
> >capture device. It looks like it initializes a "mainloop" for both
> >streams.  Is that correct behavior or a problem?  I'll do some debugging
> >around this and see if I can't ferret out a problem.
>
> There should only really be one mainloop for a given PA context. If
> they start two contexts (which means two connections to PA then
> there would probably need to be two mainloops. I'm not really sure
> tho' as I don't really know how the integration works.

It should be fine running two (or more) contexts in one event
loop, as well as two (or more) streams in one context.

There are reasons not to actually do that however, i.e. if you want to
do low latency stuff and minimize how the streams you have intefere
with each other, since the event loop serilized all operations, of
course.

That said, if low-latency is not an issue (and I dont think it is in
this case) then it saves resources reusing as much as possible.

(Sorry for the long delay in responding to this mail, somehow this
thread got lost in my inbox)

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net