[pulseaudio-discuss] M-Audio FastTrack Pro

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 7 06:40:21 PST 2010

On Thu, 07.01.10 15:08, David Kågedal (davidk at lysator.liu.se) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> writes:
>
> >> And another thing: The sinks appear as "FastTrack_Pro ...", with an
> >> underscore instead of a space for some reason.
> >
> > That's data read from the USB device itself. PA uses that only if no
> > prettier device string is available in the usb.ids database (which is
> > the same one that is used by lsusb).
>
> But that is the strange part. There is no underscore in any ALSA output
> I found. This is from /proc/asound/cards, for instance:

ALSA includes its own string database in the drivers. On most devices
ALSA usually uses only a string like "USB Audio" which is why we use
that as last resort only, if the USB descriptor does not include s
string.

>  1 [Pro            ]: USB-Audio - FastTrack Pro
>                       M-Audio FastTrack Pro at usb-0000:00:1d.7-4.4, full speed
>
> It has USB ID 0763:2012, but I don't even see it listed in
> http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

Yes, that's precisely the reason why PA falls back to that string that
is read from the USB device itself: if there was an entry in the db it
would take precedence. That's why I asked you to submit an entry with
a pretty string.

> In /proc/asound/card1/id it is simply described as "Pro".

Yes, that is just a logical string that is used do situingish it from
the other cards in the system, it is a string similar to how network
interfaces are called "eth0" or "wlan0".

Here's the order how we look for a name:

1) use the usb.ids name if there is one in the db
2) use the usb device string read from the device itself is there is
   one
3) fallback to the descriptive name alsa uses for it which often
   enough is very generic, such as "USB Audio".

And I asked you to add a pretty string to usb.ids and submit that to
the official database so that everyone can enjoy a nicer string.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net