[pulseaudio-discuss] Stream volumes as the universal volume adjustment method

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Jan 8 06:42:36 PST 2010

pe, 2010-01-08 kello 09:57 +0100, Maarten Bosmans kirjoitti:
> But consider the case a user wants total silence and hits the mute
> button on his keyboard.
> With your approach this will mute all active streams, but applications
> that start emitting sound after that will be heard, a big, unexpected
> inconvenience.

No, the mute button would not touch stream volumes. I already explained
this when I laid out the logic for the "ToggleMute" function.

What you could argue, though, is that "mute-by-zero-volume" should work.
Someone might expect that when the volume is set to zero, that should
mute the whole computer.

If my idea doesn't get wide support, I guess if I want to have my
personal volume control heaven, I will have to implement this myself and
also make this somehow configurable. I believe my UI suggestions make a
lot of sense regardless of the logic, so I'm thinking to make two
implementations for the do-what-I-mean pulseaudio extension - one for
the current logic and one for the stream-centric logic. Then I would
patch the gnome volume OSD use the extension. But if I'll ever do this,
it will be in the indefinite future after a couple of other projects...

--
Tanu Kaskinen