[pulseaudio-discuss] Disabling monitor sources in Pulse

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 11 02:56:19 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Jeremy Visser at 11/01/10 10:26 did gyre and gimble:
> Hey,
>
> I have a webcam with a built-in microphone (that appears as a USB
> soundcard without only a single capture interface) that works fine,
> except when I first log on, my internal sound card's microphone is
> always selected by default, even though I don't want it to be.
>
> So in gnome-volume-control, I have changed my internal audio card from
> "Analog Stereo Duplex" to "Analog Stereo Output", to force my USB
> microphone to be the only USB microphone.
>
> But now all that happens is that my "Monitor of Internal Analog Stereo"
> is now the default microphone for all applications, despite my selecting
> of the USB microphone as the default.
>
> So, for some reason, PulseAudio hates my USB microphone, and refuses to
> assign applications to it, even though it is the default.

Please read the following:
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/DefaultDevice

This is the difference between default in the sense of "use it always"
and default in the sense of "use if it you don't have any other
information".

> So, I need a solution that does either or both of the following:
>
> * Makes gnome-volume-control actually assign an application to the
> microphone that is selected in the Input tab (*gasp* how logical).

With input I agree, but the "logic" is not always correct considering
the memory of PA to restore to where you last used that application (for
output streams at least) as covered in the above link.

> Any ideas on how to get to the bottom of this?

Well it should just be a matter of either:

 a) Remove the stream restore database for that user. (rm -f
~/.pulse/*stream-volumes*) and set the USB as default prior to any apps
recording sound.
 b) Move the stream once in pavucontrol to the correct input device and
it will be remembered thereafter.

HTHs

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]