[pulseaudio-discuss] Disabling monitor sources in Pulse

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Tue Jan 12 19:01:54 PST 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 10:56 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Jeremy Visser at 11/01/10 10:26 did gyre and gimble:
> > So, for some reason, PulseAudio hates my USB microphone, and refuses to
> > assign applications to it, even though it is the default.
>
> This is the difference between default in the sense of "use it always"
> and default in the sense of "use if it you don't have any other
> information".

Seems that PulseAudio's logic is not the best.

I never explicitly selected the monitor source as my microphone source.
So when I select another source as the default (in this case, the USB
microphone), it should never consciously subvert my authority by
choosing another source that I never explicitly as a default or moved a
stream to.

> b) Move the stream once in pavucontrol to the correct input device and
> it will be remembered thereafter.

I'll probably have to go this route, and pray they never have to touch
pavucontrol again.

(Famous last words.)