[pulseaudio-discuss] Disabling monitor sources in Pulse

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 13 15:24:18 PST 2010

On Mon, 11.01.10 21:26, Jeremy Visser (jeremy at visser.name) wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I have a webcam with a built-in microphone (that appears as a USB
> soundcard without only a single capture interface) that works fine,
> except when I first log on, my internal sound card's microphone is
> always selected by default, even though I don't want it to be.

There's a simple heuristic in PA that initially if we have no prior
configuration we prefer PCI over USB under the assumption that PCI
might be built-in while USB is not. I think usually that is the right
approach, but in your case it might not be.

> So in gnome-volume-control, I have changed my internal audio card from
> "Analog Stereo Duplex" to "Analog Stereo Output", to force my USB
> microphone to be the only USB microphone.

You should be able to use g-v-c to select the usb mike as
default. That will rewrite the entire database for all saved streams.

> But now all that happens is that my "Monitor of Internal Analog Stereo"
> is now the default microphone for all applications, despite my selecting
> of the USB microphone as the default.

Uh, that is weird. Possibly because USB initialization is asynchronous
these days it isnt right-away available when PA starts up?

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net