[pulseaudio-discuss] M-Audio FastTrack Pro

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 14 12:34:52 PST 2010

On Fri, 08.01.10 09:15, David Kågedal (davidk at lysator.liu.se) wrote:

> >> Thank you. Finally a pointing finger.
> >>
> >> So why is udev giving us a mangled name? And why is PA using that,
> >> rather than using the information it obviously can get from the device?
> >
> > Because we trust udev. And we want to keep the bus-specific code in PA
> > at a minimum.
>
> That sounds sensible. And "udevadm info --path=/sys/bus/usb/devices/2-4.4
> --query=property | grep ID_MODEL" does show the broken name (and there
> is no ID_MODEL_FROM_DATABASE).
>
> I guess I'll move my complaints to the udev people (or possibly the
> Ubuntu people) and see what emerges.

udev actually sets two props: ID_MODEL and ID_MODEL_ENC. The former
has all special chars (including spaces) replaced by underscore. The
latter has them escape in a \x20 like notation.

I have now modified PA to use ID_MODEL_ENC and undo the encoding. You
should now get the USB supplied names without underscores.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net