[pulseaudio-discuss] Saving stream volumes per physical output

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Jan 14 20:18:56 PST 2010

to, 2010-01-14 kello 21:54 +0100, Lennart Poettering kirjoitti:
> On Wed, 06.01.10 05:18, Tanu Kaskinen (tanuk at iki.fi) wrote:
> > Then at some point I switch back to the headphones. m-d-r
> > restores the sink reference volume to 0 dB and m-s-r doesn't do
> > anything. Now the music stream has also absolute volume 0 dB, which is
> > 10 dB more than what I want the headphones to have. When I changed the
> > volume while using the speakers, it shouldn't have affected the volume
> > that I get when using the headphones.
>
> Yes, but that is expected. If you change the stream volume you change
> the stream volume. if you change the device volume you change the
> device volume.

But it's so tempting to use the volume slider in Rhythmbox ;)

Now that you have convinced me to some degree about that the device
volume should be the usual volume to adjust, I guess my biggest problem
are the volume sliders in individual applications. I believe they cause
problems/inconveniences for many users (I'm going here solely by my own
intuition; I don't remember hearing any actual complaints).

Do you possibly have the opinion that applications should get rid of the
volume sliders, or make them control the device volume?

--
Tanu Kaskinen