[pulseaudio-discuss] Saving stream volumes per physical output

David Kågedal davidk at lysator.liu.se
Fri Jan 15 01:45:48 PST 2010

Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> writes:

> to, 2010-01-14 kello 21:54 +0100, Lennart Poettering kirjoitti:
>> On Wed, 06.01.10 05:18, Tanu Kaskinen (tanuk at iki.fi) wrote:
>> > Then at some point I switch back to the headphones. m-d-r
>> > restores the sink reference volume to 0 dB and m-s-r doesn't do
>> > anything. Now the music stream has also absolute volume 0 dB, which is
>> > 10 dB more than what I want the headphones to have. When I changed the
>> > volume while using the speakers, it shouldn't have affected the volume
>> > that I get when using the headphones.
>>
>> Yes, but that is expected. If you change the stream volume you change
>> the stream volume. if you change the device volume you change the
>> device volume.
>
> But it's so tempting to use the volume slider in Rhythmbox ;)
>
> Now that you have convinced me to some degree about that the device
> volume should be the usual volume to adjust, I guess my biggest problem
> are the volume sliders in individual applications. I believe they cause
> problems/inconveniences for many users (I'm going here solely by my own
> intuition; I don't remember hearing any actual complaints).
>
> Do you possibly have the opinion that applications should get rid of the
> volume sliders, or make them control the device volume?

That wouldn't make sense. If I pull the volume slider in Rhythmbox, I
expect it to only affect the sound coming from Rhythmbox.

I'm not sure I understood what the problem was. If you move a stream to
a device with the volume cranked up, you shouldn't be surprised that it
gets louder.

--
David Kågedal