[pulseaudio-discuss] weirdly choppy sound with remote ALSA plugin, only if pavucontrol is not running (!)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jan 22 06:16:46 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Nix at 22/01/10 13:52 did gyre and gimble:
> On 14 Jan 2010, Lennart Poettering outgrape:
>
>> On Sat, 09.01.10 23:06, Nix (nix at esperi.org.uk) wrote:
>>
>>> (symptoms also observed with qemu, world of goo and scorched3d, yes I
>>> tried to run *that* over the network, I'm a glutton for punishment).
>>>
>>> This only happens with a remote connection: a local connection, even
>>> using the ALSA plugin, works fine. (This is a mostly-idle gigabit
>>> network, so I doubt network saturation is to blame).
>>
>> Could you please try
>> http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=patch;h=8d356659e69556fa25d0579a66084f820683e2b8
>> and see if that fixes things for you?
>
> Unfortunately not :( at least not when cherry-picked atop 0.9.21.

Could you also try this one (on top of the previous one):
http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=patch;h=84782f24c5f43456430c796bd12f9face24f0573

Actually, it wuold probably be best to use the "stable-queue" branch as
this contains the recommended patches on top of 0.9.21.

I believe packages with these patches on top of 0.9.21 are available for
the major distros now (certainly Fedora, Mandriva and Ubuntu) in "stable
testing" repositories (whatever they may be called distro-by-distro), so
you may be able to save yourself the rebuild.

>> How do you acces the other server? directly or via module-tunnel?
>
> Directly (assuming I interpret 'other server' correctly). I have an
> SSH connection from my local machine to the big QEMU server, and
> that talks via ALSA, and the ALSA plugin then has a connection
> listed as

OK, so this is a "direct connection". If it were a tunnel you'd be using
module-tunnel-sink and connecting to a local PA that then streams your
data to the remote PA.

> Obviously having everything have PA native support is ideal, but,
> let's be honest, it's been years and not everything's migrated off
> OSS yet.

Well I'm not sure if everything having direct PA support is ideal or
not, (it's certainly not bad!) but if the mythical libsydney ever comes
along, it will be the zenith!

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]