[pulseaudio-discuss] Killing Parec?

Murtaza Munaim murt52 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 23:52:34 PDT 2010

Hey guys. I had a inquiry into parec, the pulse audio recording tool.

So in my current setup, I have a sink setup by the following:
pactl load-module module-null-sink sink_name=$port

Now, I have firefox feeding into this sink, and I have parec fetching
data from this sink and piping it to a script I have running that does
some data manipulation. Now, when firefox dies, it stops feeding data
into the sink, and thus parec has no more use. I want parec to die when
the sink is of no more use. Is this parec's default behavior? Do I need
to add something? Is there some configuration so that when a sink
becomes indefinitely empty/unusable, the parec process will die aswell?

-Thanks
Murtaza