[pulseaudio-discuss] How to contribute

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jun 1 04:46:35 PDT 2010

Hi Sylvain,

'Twas brillig, and Pichon, SylvainX at 01/06/10 09:26 did gyre and gimble:
> I’m new on this mailing list.

Welcome aboard!

> I’m working at Intel and we will probably have to bring some
> contributions to pulseaudio.

Excellent :D

> I’d like to know the good way to bring contributions to the project.
>
> I’ve already read the coding style page
> (http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/CodingStyle) but would like to know if
> there is a specific process to follow.

Following the coding style is very much recommended.... Lennart (IRC:
mezcalero) has special powers to spot // comments in code ..... he
really doesn't like them - /* */ all the way :p

Personally I'd have preferred to have the super power of invisibility or
xray vision, but I guess you can't pick and and choose what radio-active
bug bites will do to you....

> Or if it’s just git-cloning the project, create a local branch and push
> it when the work is done.

Yeah, just clone it and then push it back to a publiccally available git
repository somewhere and then ask for a pull request on the list -
preferably including at least a general overview and a shortlog of the
changes. A full log with diffs is also fine.

Alternatively, git email direct to the list is also perfectly acceptable.

Attaching patches to specific tickets is fine too, but Trac is a bit
weird when adding attachments as it doesn't seem to send out email
notifications to the list for attachments, so probably best to avoid
this route (or add a comment to the bug after attaching to ensure
someone notices :p)

If the changes are relatively trivial/uncontroversial then I can merge
them in. If they are more fundamental then I usually defer to Lennart to
do the merging/reviewing etc. seeing as he is the PA guru.

Feel free to hang out in IRC at #pulseaudio. I'm coling there.

I look forward to your contributions!

Cheers

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]