[pulseaudio-discuss] Problem when loading module-always-sink or module-alsa-sink

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Mar 23 10:18:20 PDT 2010

On Sat, 13.03.10 14:59, Maginot Junior (maginot.junior at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a LFS system and since I installed Pulseaudio-0.9.21

Consider upgrading to a proper distribution where all these problems
have already been dealt with. There is no point in tracking the same
problems over and over again if somebody else already did just that for
you.

> I: main.c: Machine ID is avant.

Your D-Bus setup is very very broken. Consider upgrading to a proper
distribution with a working D-Bus installation.

> I: main.c: Using runtime directory /home/maginot/.pulse/avant-runtime.
> I: main.c: Using state directory /home/maginot/.pulse.
> I: main.c: Using modules directory /usr/lib/pulse-0.9.21/modules.
> I: main.c: Running in system mode: no
> W: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
> I: main.c: Fresh high-resolution timers available! Bon appetit!
> I: cpu-x86.c: CPU flags: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4_1

Interesting, so you have SSE4.1 and are building for 32bit? Consider
upgrading to a proper distribution that chose the right CPU architecture
when compiling.

> I: svolume_mmx.c: Initialising MMX optimized functions.
> I: remap_mmx.c: Initialising MMX optimized remappers.
> I: svolume_sse.c: Initialising SSE2 optimized functions.
> I: remap_sse.c: Initialising SSE2 optimized remappers.
> I: sconv_sse.c: Initialising SSE2 optimized conversions.
> D: memblock.c: Using shared memory pool with 1024 slots of size 64.0
> KiB each, total size is 64.0 MiB, maximum usable slot size is 65496
> D: database-gdbm.c: Opened GDBM database

Nowadays it is recommended to use tdb here, no longer gdbm. Consider
upgrading to a proper distribution where the mainatiner already made
sure that PA is linked against tdb.

> '/home/maginot/.pulse/avant-device-volumes.i686-pc-linux-gnu.gdbm'
> I: module-device-restore.c: Sucessfully opened database file
> '/home/maginot/.pulse/avant-device-volumes'.
> I: module.c: Loaded "module-device-restore" (index: #0; argument: "").
> D: database-gdbm.c: Opened GDBM database
> '/home/maginot/.pulse/avant-stream-volumes.i686-pc-linux-gnu.gdbm'
> I: module-stream-restore.c: Sucessfully opened database file
> '/home/maginot/.pulse/avant-stream-volumes'.
> I: module.c: Loaded "module-stream-restore" (index: #1; argument: "").
> D: database-gdbm.c: Opened GDBM database
> '/home/maginot/.pulse/avant-card-database.i686-pc-linux-gnu.gdbm'
> I: module-card-restore.c: Sucessfully opened database file
> '/home/maginot/.pulse/avant-card-database'.
> I: module.c: Loaded "module-card-restore" (index: #2; argument: "").
> I: module.c: Loaded "module-augment-properties" (index: #3; argument: "").
> N: alsa-util.c: Disabling timer-based scheduling because running inside a VM.
> E: fdsem.c: Assertion 'pa_atomic_dec(&f->data->waiting) >= 1' failed
> at pulsecore/fdsem.c:283, function pa_fdsem_before_poll(). Aborting.

This smells like a broken libatomic_ops, pulled in by a too old
compiler.

Consider upgrading to a proper distribution where the maintainers
already made sure that gcc natively supports atomic operations.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net