[pulseaudio-discuss] config for 2 cards - 1 for pulse; 1 for AC-3 Passthru

Scott Selberg sselberg at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 9 18:45:25 PDT 2010

Hi All,

     I've been trying to figure out for some time how to configure my
family home theater PC for analog pulse audio out and ALSA digital pass
thru for Xine.  I'm running Ubuntu 10.04.

     I've been having some success by removing the pulse library from
xine.  The issue is that sometimes "something" happens to the digital
port and I no longer get digital sound.  The workaround has been to
switch the audio output to a second unused but present sound card and
reboot.  After one or two repeats toggling the sound output between
cards I can again have digital sound through one port and analog through
another on the same sound card.

      I had another thought which would be to blacklist my Soundblaster
card (which supports the digital passthru) from Pulse and have the
analog from Pulse through the onboard sound.

     Any thoughts on how to fix my initial problem or configure the
second scenario?

-Scott