[pulseaudio-discuss] lost all but front L/R channels

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon May 10 00:45:07 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Kyle Davenport at 10/05/10 05:08 did gyre and gimble:
> ok, I found it.  I had to go into alsamixer and change the default card
> of Pulseaudio to SBLive and then change the volume on the Surround
> control.   No idea why it was turned down to 13%.   This control is
> completely hidden from PulseAudio...
>
> Also, I had to kill the pulseaudio server and run pavucontrol to get my
> hardware device back.

If you use a Stereo profile in PulseAudio, then it will only show you
the stereo channels.

Use pavucontrol and on the Configuration tab you should have a 5.1
profile. Simply select this and you should have the full five channels
exposed via PA.

If things don't work for you then there is a good chance that alsa
driver issues (via what they expose in a uniform and consistent way via
the mixer interface) or in PA itself may be at fault. As both your alsa
drivers and PA version is really old, I think you should probably try
the latest versions before drawing any conclusions.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]