[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with mplayer in Ubuntu 10.04

Mihai Sucan mihai.sucan at gmail.com
Tue May 11 13:30:39 PDT 2010

Hello Colin!

Le Tue, 11 May 2010 16:33:55 +0300, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> a
écrit:

>> From the 1.12.854 release notes:
>>
>> * Improved library load time by delaying backend device probing until
>> needed.
>>
>> It seems exactly what I reported: mplayer (with openal) probes backend
>> devices when it's not needed.
>
> Well that seems to cover it, but it hardly represents the seriousness of
> the problem.
>
> It suggests a marginal speed improvement, not the fix for a bug.
>
> That's not ideal. Packagers in all distros need to be able to have good
> information available to decide whether or not updating is a sensible
> thing. Right now I'm trying to evaluate whether or not it's wise for me
> to break freeze and push this updated version through. We've got enough
> time to do this, but just simply looking at the change log, I wouldn't
> have thought it was a necessary upgrade by any means.

You are correct, but that might be an error on the part of the one who
wrote the release notes.

For me, ultimately, there is no way to know if the bug affecting my system
is fixed or not in the latest release, unless I get a build of the OpenAL
package on Ubuntu (backport, PPA, any solution is fine).

So, I am going to wait. I hope Daniel or someone else will kick-in with a
test package so I can test and provide further feedback. Thanks again -
you've been very helpful.

Best regards,
Mihai

--