[pulseaudio-discuss] Not only autospawning, but all PA daemon startup of any kind appears impossible with PA trunk

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat May 15 14:43:05 PDT 2010

On 15 May 2010, Tanu Kaskinen uttered the following:

> On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 15:38 +0100, Nix wrote:
>> Obviously I'm missing something, but this hunk of this change:
> <snip>
>> Proof:
>>
>> nix at mutilate 440 /home/nix% /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start
>> N: main.c: User-configured server at sound.srvr.nix, not autospawning.
>>
>> Shouldn't this check autospawn_fd, or *something* initialized only when
>> autospawning? Or am I missing something? (I suspect I must be.)
>
> I was confused when making that commit. I think the logic is correct,
> but the commit message and the log message are wrong. The commit message
> can't be fixed, but the log message should be "User-configured server at
> %s, not starting."

But I'm getting this when I try to *start* the user-configured server
on that machine, via e.g. start-pulseaudio-x11!

With this in place, how are you supposed to start PA at all? (I'm not
even entirely clear what a 'user-configured server' is. A server that
the user has configured? A server meant to run under the user's
privileges, as opposed to a systemwide PA? Something else?)