[pulseaudio-discuss] How to `wire' output of a program as if it is microphone input

lists at kambanaria.org lists at kambanaria.org
Fri May 21 03:20:30 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I want to do the following - I want to stream some audio that I generate
via playback on my machine (Totem playing a clip) via programs supporting
popular protocols like Empathy (jabber) or Skype to other people.

There was a recent thread in the mailing list about loading loopback module
(pactl load-module module-loopback) and then fiddling with pavucontrol.

However I just cannot guess how/what to fiddle with.

After loading module-loopback the recording tab in pavucontrol gets
"Loopback to Internal Audio Analog Stereo from" and I get to choose from
"Internal Audio Analog Stereo", "Monitor of Internal Audio Analog Stereo",
"Monitor Source of Simultaneous Output to Internal Audio Analog Stereo".
These show when I select either "Show All Streams" or "Show Virtual
Strems", however nothing is shown in "Applications". I would like to make
for example only Totem a source similar to a microphone that I can set as
an input device.

Do I have to create some kind of virtual device that Totem should output
to and then set it as a source? Is there an online example of this?

I have been staring at the documentation for two days but the Eurika
moments still eludes me. Some ideas or pointers?

Kind regards:
al_shopov