[pulseaudio-discuss] How to `wire' output of a program as if it is microphone input

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Fri May 21 05:01:23 PDT 2010

2010/5/21  <lists at kambanaria.org>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to do the following - I want to stream some audio that I generate
> via playback on my machine (Totem playing a clip) via programs supporting
> popular protocols like Empathy (jabber) or Skype to other people.
>
> There was a recent thread in the mailing list about loading loopback module
> (pactl load-module module-loopback) and then fiddling with pavucontrol.

No, that is for the reverse situation: sending the audio from a source
to a sink.
You have the case that you want to send audio from a program that
connects to a sink (totem) to a program that uses a source (empathy).

> However I just cannot guess how/what to fiddle with.
>
> After loading module-loopback the recording tab in pavucontrol gets
> "Loopback to Internal Audio Analog Stereo from" and I get to choose from
> "Internal Audio Analog Stereo", "Monitor of Internal Audio Analog Stereo",
> "Monitor Source of Simultaneous Output to Internal Audio Analog Stereo".
> These show when I select either "Show All Streams" or "Show Virtual
> Strems", however nothing is shown in "Applications". I would like to make
> for example only Totem a source similar to a microphone that I can set as
> an input device.
>
> Do I have to create some kind of virtual device that Totem should output
> to and then set it as a source? Is there an online example of this?

Use module-null-sink. If this is loaded, you can move Totem to it
using pavucontrol.
The tell the voip app to connect the the monitor source of the sink.

> I have been staring at the documentation for two days but the Eurika
> moments still eludes me. Some ideas or pointers?
>
> Kind regards:
> al_shopov

Maarten Bosmans