[pulseaudio-discuss] Couple of PA problems

Alexey Fisher bug-track at fisher-privat.net
Sat Nov 27 02:39:17 PST 2010

Hi James,

please do not start any bug report with frustration or comparision to
windows, it frustrate devs.

To your problem. PA do not route IN to OUT, you can force it like
"gst-launch pulsesrc ! pulsesink" but you really don't wont it.

I'm sure to 99%, your problem is hardware. Take a look to some deeper
layer like ALSA (HW -> ALSA -> PA -> ALSA -> HW). Start "alsamixer" and
take look to some thing with name "Mic" or "Line in" and mute it. In
alsamixer you will have 3 section: playback, input, all. In playbak
section "Mic" is monitor for your microphone. This will actually route
your mic to speakers directly.

Am Samstag, den 27.11.2010, 18:24 +0800 schrieb James Harkins:
> THIRD time trying to post this...
>
> I'm having a couple of problems with pulseaudio. I can't find answers on the web and it's driving me perfectly batty.
>
> 1. When I boot into Ubuntu 10.04, the signal from the built-in hardware input is routed out to the built-in hardware output. That is, if I turn up the speakers and rub the microphone, I can hear the sound coming out of the speakers. By contrast, if I boot into Windows, the sound is not so routed.
>
> This is an irritant for normal use, but I also plan to perform live electronic music using Ubuntu. If sound from the laptop's built-in microphone pollutes the output audio stream, that's completely unacceptable. (OTOH, Jack suspends PA and this might stop the unwanted routing. I hope... I don't remember exactly, will check later.)
>
> I haven't been able to find any way to break the connection. There is no client application that sends in --> out. It's either pulseaudio or alsa, and the source of the connection is invisible in all configuration tools.
>
> This is very seriously frustrating for me. Any hints would help.
>
> 2. As a workaround for problem #1, I thought I could turn down the main system volume and then turn up the volume in client applications. But I found, for instance, that changing the system volume also changes the volume in rhythm box and vice versa.
>
> Why are these not independent? Where is the preference so that I can make them independent?
>
> Thanks.
> James
>

> --
> James Harkins /// dewdrop world