[pulseaudio-discuss] Latency control for wine ALSA emulation?

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 17:39:41 PST 2010

Just recently I noticed my wine games weren't outputting sound. After
some trouble-shooting (and remembering old issues I'd seen on this
list), I realized that starting them with pavucontrol on fixed the
sound, it would work just fine.

I refer to [1] and [2] where Colin says this would be due to the
reduction in latency. One workaround to this is tsched=0, but I haven't
needed that before for ages.

I'm on pulseaudio 0.9.22, just upgraded, also just upgraded wine to
1.3.8. However I can't seem to find a combination of downgraded packages
(0.9.21 and 1.3.6 respectively, which used to work) which can make
things work without pavucontrol again. Could this be affected by for
example lib32-alsa-lib or alsa-lib or alsa-utils (lib32-alsa-utils as
well)?

I'd rather not hardcode tsched=0 because I'm on a laptop =). Please let
me know what other things I can do to debug, would a log be helpful
(since the issue is pretty certainly the latency control), or should I
get a wine log instead. That would probably be a waste of time since
winealsa isn't maintained currently I believe.