[pulseaudio-discuss] Virtualbox sound management

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Oct 19 06:47:33 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Fabrice Beauvir at 19/10/10 14:15 did gyre and gimble:
> Hello Colin,
>  Thank you for your answer , So I fear that it is not possible to have
> several "fake" sinks (one per VM)....

Oh, it's very possible. Just a matter of setting some parameters
correctly. Technically you don't really need separate virtual cards on
the host for each VM anyway. They can all output to the same virtual
cards, and they can all input from the same virtual card. The trick is
making sure the that input virtual cards is *not* the monitor of the
output virtual card which is your situation just now.

You only need two null sinks.

> Unfortunatly when I load a other fake one, got 'failed'
>
> see above
> administrateur at 23390hd61252:~$ pacmd load-module module-null-sink
> sink_name=fake
> Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
>
> So... I fear that I have to ask for a sound card (it is a server "in
> box" , can be not easy)
>
> Is it right ?

There will be a way to get it working, but perhaps I got the syntax
slightly wrong.

They syntax works for me :s

Are you running a system wide PA or a per-user PA?

If system-wide then module loading is generally disabled for security
reasons.

But you can add the commands to your system.pa file
(/etc/pulse/system.pa) or default.pa (/etc/pulse/default.pa) depending
whether you use system wide or per-user.

Try editing the appropriate file and make the following changes:

1. Comment out the line that says:
 load-module module-always-sink

2. Add the following lines:
 load-module module-null-sink sink_name=fakeout
 load-module module-null-sink sink_name=fakein
 set-default-sink fakeout
 set-default-source fakein.monitor

Then restart PA. If it doesn't restart then there is something wrong
with your changes (so best to keep a backup of the file).

Hopefully that'll be enough to get things setup for you.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]