[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio-0.9.14 on Slackware 12.2 with Droplinegome 2.26

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Oct 19 14:31:57 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Ron Hermsen at 19/10/10 21:41 did gyre and gimble:
> Dear Reader,
>
> I have problems with pulseaudio not starting up.
> After changing default.pa, module-alsa-sink did found my soundcard,
> but PA still fails.
> I hope someone can help me to get it working.
>

> Audio details:
> “ESS 1869 Plug and Play Audio Drive”.
> The module that is loaded: snd_es1688
> Complete lsmod output: http://pastebin.com/B0rzSrJT
> Modprobe and lsdev info: http://pastebin.com/rj0xqL01
>

> If I use pulseaudio -vvvv --daemonize=false with the default
> “default.pa” the output I get the following failure messages:
> E: polkit.c: Cannot set UID on session object.
> I: main.c: PolicyKit refuses acquire-high-priority privilege.
> D: module-always-sink.c: Autoloading null-sink as no other sinks detected.
> E: module-console-kit.c: GetSessionsForUnixUser() call failed:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply
> (timeout by message bus)
> E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-console-kit" (argument:
> ""): initialization failed.
> E: main.c: Module load failed.
> E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
> Complete output: http://pastebin.com/MuxxuLmt
>
> From the null-sink I understand that no soundcards is found.
>
> aplay -v --device=hw:0 /usr/share/sounds/shutdown.wav
> works
> Complete output: http://pastebin.com/Rdp0Ef6t
>
> Tried to change “default.pa” with the following lines:
> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0
> load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0
>
> With this the module-alsa-sink seems to be ok, but module-alsa-source failes.
>
> pulseaudio -vvvv --daemonize=false output:
> E: polkit.c: Cannot set UID on session object.
> I: main.c: PolicyKit refuses acquire-high-priority privilege.
> D: alsa-util.c: Trying hw:0 with SND_PCM_NO_AUTO_FORMAT ...
> I: (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c failed
> E: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
> E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-source" (argument:
> "device=hw:0"): initialization failed.
> E: main.c: Module load failed.
> E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
> Complete output: http://pastebin.com/XaKz4ZN7
>
> Tried to use “module-null-source”, but it is not installed on my pc.
> # slocate module-null-source
> #
>
> Without a source module specified: http://pastebin.com/aUT5bxrp
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here...

Basically the console kit module is failing to load due to a dbus problem.

Also seems that some other application has your Alsa device open (Device
or resource busy message indicates this), perhaps this means that you
simply can't use your h/w in full duplex mode (e.g. opening the sink
prevents the source from actually working?)

Anyway, actually two bugs there.

FWIW 0.9.14 is a bit of a strange release to use. AFAIK 0.9.16 was the
stable version for a while (fixing bugs in 0.9.12 through 0.9.15), but I
could be wrong.

I'd strongly recommend using 0.9.21 (or rather "stable-queue" git
branch) as many bug fixes have been included since 0.9.14. I'd also
recommend newer alsa kernel and libs too.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]