[pulseaudio-discuss] Custom client-server communication

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Oct 19 14:46:21 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and tarantism at 19/10/10 22:16 did gyre and gimble:
> I'm working on a pulseaudio module, specifically for use on 0.9.15 under
> the Maemo OS.
>
> I'd like to pass custom messages from the client to this module. I can
> see how to pass messages on the server side to a pa_msgobject but can't
> see how to do this from client to server.
>
> I'd be very grateful if anyone could provide guidance!

There is sadly no easy way to do this generically.

You can build protocol extensions but the "core" of PA needs to have
some degree of knowledge of this.

Some modules do create protocol extensions tho'. e.g. see
module-device-manager (not present until 0.9.21) and
module-stream-restore (which should be available under 0.9.15) to see
how this is done.

I can advice further if you need, but not sure if this is already more
than you'd be able to do (it would require building your own PA I think).

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]