[pulseaudio-discuss] Custom client-server communication

tarantism tarantism at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 19 15:06:10 PDT 2010

Hi Colin,
Thanks for your quick response.

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 22:46 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and tarantism at 19/10/10 22:16 did gyre and gimble:
> > I'd like to pass custom messages from the client to this module. I can
> > see how to pass messages on the server side to a pa_msgobject but can't
> > see how to do this from client to server.
> There is sadly no easy way to do this generically.
>
> You can build protocol extensions but the "core" of PA needs to have
> some degree of knowledge of this.
>
> Some modules do create protocol extensions tho'. e.g. see
> module-device-manager (not present until 0.9.21) and
> module-stream-restore (which should be available under 0.9.15) to see
> how this is done.
I'd spotted the PA_COMMAND_EXTENSION but in 0.9.15, this (from
context.c) kinda precludes general usage:

void pa_command_extension(pa_pdispatch *pd, uint32_t command, uint32_t
    if (!strcmp(name, "module-stream-restore"))
        pa_ext_stream_restore_command(c, tag, t);
    else
        pa_log(_("Received message for unknown extension '%s'"), name);

What are my options? I can distribute a pa module but not a completely
new pa core!