[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio-0.9.21, alsa-1.0.23, kde-4.4.5, consolekit, dbus

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Sep 14 05:58:08 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and sibu xolo at 14/09/10 13:33 did gyre and gimble:
> On Monday 13 September 2010 11:59:14 Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and sibu xolo at 13/09/10 11:10 did gyre and gimble:
>  First of all thanks  (or shall I say 'kallu kalay')  for the help.
>
>> I'm not sure why udev-detect would cause problems. I would suggest to
>> double check your udev setup and make sure the relevant udev rules are
>> present on your system. udev 147 is pretty old, perhaps a newer version
>> is needed (I can't remember the minimum system requirements), but
>> certainly: /lib/udev/rules.d/78-sound-card.rules
>

> I updated udev to udev-162.  And  I can report some progress and some
> glitches.
>
> PROGRESS:
> --------
> ---a) the first login and logout  via kdm gives the  welcome and exit sounds
> ---b)the  kde/~Multimedia dialog has  a dummy greyed-out icon and another as
> 'Internal Audio analog stereo'

Excellent. Both are expected outcomes. Because PA has been run with the
Dummy Output in the past, it will remember this for you and keep it in
the list as a "previously seen sink" (the same view would be presented
for USB devices you plug in and subsequently remove). You can
effectively ignore it or remove the device-manager tdb file in the
~/.pulse folder to "purge" it (one of these days I'll implement some
kind of GUI to remove it).

> ---c) aplay plays wav files in konsole  -as well as on the cli in/before/after
> startkde/kdm-logout

Cool.

> GLITCHES
> -----------
> ---d) kde/sound is mute for all other logins and logouts  bar the first

Hmm, is that with different users or logging out and back in with the
same user?

When you say "mute" do you really mean mute or do you just mean that you
cannot hear anything. Does the device list in the kde/~Multimedia dialog
look the same?

Also are you using a Display Manager and if so which one (KDM?), and are
you using the stable-queue PA from git or the plain 0.9.21 tarball?

The reason I ask is that if it really is muting then it's probably
related to a volume adjustment race condition that may be getting in the
way. It's been fixed a long time ago in the stable-queue branch and all
the distros I know are shipping this fix (well they ship all the patches
from stable-queue).

The particular fix is:
http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commit;h=540ec7b961256d6c7702448ca995f61268064190

but you really do want to use all the patches from this branch since
v0.9.21 tag (there will likely be another 10 fixes landing later today)

More details on the specific bug here:
http://pulseaudio.org/ticket/572#comment:19

> ---e) audio CDROMs do not play neither with KsCD nor Kaffeine for any logins

This is likely an issue to do with using analog playback rather than
digital extraction (DAE) and subsequent software playback. You can
probably use a low level alsamixer  (alsamixer -c0) to unmute the CDROM
element, but really most applications should be using digital extraction
and software playback these days AFAIK.

I'd ignore this particular problem until all others are addressed :)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]