[pulseaudio-discuss] Add delay to a sink

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Sep 15 07:10:42 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Oliver Konz at 15/09/10 13:54 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm new to this discussion group - so, sorry if this has been already
> discussed... (However I couldn't find anything in the archives.)
>
> I want to playpack audio with mpd in multiple rooms. To achieve this I
> have defined two outputs in mpd: A local PulseAudio sink and another
> remote PulseAudio sink. I can turn the outputs on and off - works like a
> charm!
> The problem is that I have a slight delay between the local and the
> network audio, which results in an echo effect.
>
> I do not expect network audio to work without delay, but is there a way
> to add a delay to the local sink to compensate this?

Could you perhaps do your output slightly differently?

e.g. perhaps you could do the following:

1. Setup 1 output in mpd: the local PA server.
2. Setup a tunnel in local PA to the remote one, thus two sinks.
3. Add a combined sink locally, that connects local sink + tunnel sink.

This way you can just output the mpd to the local PA server and then
just use PA tools (pavucontrol) to move the stream from local, to remote
to combined.

This way PA will be in charge for the whole loop and may make a better
job at synchronisation.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]